SONDER HOSPICE CARE
WHAT IS HOSPICE CARE?
A time may come when curative efforts to slow or rid of a disease may be less helpful than they are disruptive. If you decide that you are at that point, Sonder offers a type of palliative care – hospice – that is aimed towards ensuring that your final months of life are spent with as much comfort and fulfillment as possible for you and your loved ones.
Sonder Hospice is not about giving up. We are committed to delivering comfort, choice, and dignity to you and your loved ones.
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR HOSPICE?
Medicaid, Medicare, and private insurance generally offer coverage for hospice care if you have a prognosis of 6 months given that your illness continues its course. Our care team can help you determine whether you are eligible for hospice.
WHEN SHOULD I SEEK HOSPICE?
Seeking hospice care is a very personal decision in which you have the ultimate say. During the decision process, it is imperative to understand that a time may come when doing “everything possible” could eventually hurt more than help. Our palliative team can help you weigh the benefits and disadvantages of your options for treatments.
Hospice can offer many months of quality time with loved ones and life if decided upon in a timely manner. Many fear that hospice is “the end”, “giving up”, or “losing out on a cure”. Contrary to many stigmas surrounding palliative care, hospice can provide a beautiful stage in your life during which you can focus on the people and parts of life that you love most.
DO PEOPLE LEAVE HOSPICE?
There are some cases in which patients find their health improving throughout hospice care. If your health improves, you can leave hospice any time and Sonder will be here for you when you are ready.
WHAT ARE SIGNS I SHOULD CONSIDER HOSPICE?
There are some common signs that can indicate that you may experience better quality of life under hospice care:
- You have made several trips to the hospital within the past few months or year with similar symptoms each trip
- You are no longer trying to cure your disease
- You have pain symptoms that you are trying to suppress, rather than seeking curative treatments for your overall illness
- You would rather avoid going back to the hospital
- You wish to embrace what time is left rather than continuously fight against your health
WHAT CAN SONDER HOSPICE DO FOR ME?
Sonder is committed to honoring you and your loved ones in a way that allows for you to get the most out of your remaining time with us.
We put emphasis on allowing you to:
- Spend quality time with loved ones
- Reflect on your life
- Get your affairs in order
- Create a legacy in meaningful ways, for instance legacy tapes
- Visit people and places with special meaning